It always takes me forever to schedule time for myself – hair appt, anything really. I ask my husband when I can do it and he says anytime. Then I do and then get – Well I have this or that… NO MORE! Now he can access the calendar with his phone!
There is a great new online calendar tool that may be just what your family needs. HatchedIt.com was created out of the frustration of a single mom trying to communicate her children’s activities to family & friends that were helping with drop-off and pick-up duties.
In creating HATCHEDit.com we sought to create a free, organization tool that includes a family calendar, an address book, updating news feeds, and a place to curate all that is important in your life. We also made it collaborative, giving moms the ability to fluidly communicate important information to the people that assist them (grandparents, babysitters, au pairs, spouses, and children).
On your home page it is intended to tell you “where you need to be, who you need to speak to, what you need to know and what inspires you”.
- Upcoming Events: this is a quick snapshot of your calendar with color code for who is involved in the activity. Click there to see your calendar in may different formats – monthly, daily…
- Invites – if you have any active invitations
- Curate – think of this as your own personal cork board to pin up ideas, articles and other things you have found.
- My Groups – think book club, PTO, family communications and more. Easy way to chat without endless emails back and forth. You can also schedule your meetings through HatchedIt as well so they will always be on everyone’s HatchedIt calendar.
- Blogroll – where you can see the latest feed from your favorite blogs – do not forget to add me – LOL!
I love being able to schedule out activities and my husband and children can see the calendar before we all triple book the same day. Since it is an online tool, it can be accessed anywhere – they do not have to wait to get home and look at the white board. Each time you enter something in the calendar you have the option to email an invite to someone. You control the access people have to your calendar.
What is different about HatchedIt versus some other online calendar tools is that you can invite ANYONE into your calendar as well as limit what they can view and interact with. Do you need a babysitter to know your child’s dance schedule – give them access to VIEW that child’s calendar. Set up groups for your book club, girls night out and more. You can have active discussions without emails flying back and forth.
Calendar information can be shared as follows:
- You can allow your immediate family (those members of MY ACCOUNT) to view the family calendar – all with their own log ins and passwords
- You can elect to give any other member of HATCHEDit access to your calendar
- (Coming in Feb.) You will be able to allow other members of HATCHEDit to see select categories on your calendar (for example you can give grandparents the rights to see all “Sporting” events
- You can send an event invitation to any HATCHEDit member and they will receive that invite in their Inbox as well as via their email address
- You can send an event invitation to anyone who is NOT a member of HATCHEDit and they will recieve an email invite with the details of the event on it.
They are still in the beginning stages and are adding new capabilities every day – literally. They absolutely LOVE to get ideas and input from their users to make it a better solution and experience for people. There is an Android app available now and the iPhone app is expected this week. I love that you can color code the events – just like I try to do on my white board family calendar.
UPDATE – both FREE apps are now available!
You can check out more about how Hatchedit.com works below. Then set up your FREE account and start playing – I hope it works for you.
I was introduced to HatchedIt and the founders through a blogger party at StowedStuff and thought it was a great tool to help you organize your life better.