Heads up! Wanted to let you know that this Friday, July 11th, Krispy Kreme will celebrate the 77th birthday of its Original Glazed Doughnut and as a special promotional offer, all Krispy Kreme shops will be offering a birthday discount: buy one dozen doughnuts, get a second dozen for 77 cents!
You want to know a few FUN FACTS!! These are interesting….
- Doughnuts trace their history to Dutch “fried cakes,” which were brought to America by early Dutch settlers. The cakes had nuts embedded in their centers, and early Americans combined “dough” and “nut” to make the word “doughnut.”
- The hole in the center of the doughnut is credited to a young boy named Hanson Gregory, who, in 1847, suggested to his mother that she put a hole in the middle of her “fried cakes” to ensure the cake was fully cooked in the middle.
- In the U.S. alone, more than 10 billion donuts are made every year; Krispy Kreme stores can produce more than 3 million doughnuts per day.
- The largest donut ever made was an American-style jelly donut weighing 1.7 tons, which was 16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high in the center.
- Krispy Kreme can produce enough doughnuts in a week to make a line of doughnuts from NYC to LA
- Krispy Kreme can produce a stack of doughnuts as tall as the Empire State Building in 22 seconds
- Krispy Kreme uses enough chocolate each year to fill nearly five Olympic-sized swimming pools.